Chilwell Manor Golf Club was formed in 1906 by a group of early enthusiasts who were able to rent a number of fields adjoining the old village 'Manor' House from which the club derives its name. It was originally a nine hole golf course laid out according to the plans of Tom Williamson, a member of Notts. Golf Club. Tom Williamson and his father Edmund also designed Wollaton Park Golf Club in 1926, and over 60 other courses countrywide.
How the group of golf enthusiasts first gathered and had knowledge of a number of fields that might be rented and would be suitable for laying out a nine-hole golf course is not known. What is known is that the fields were rented, and a plan drawn up by Mr. Tom Williamson of the Notts. Golf Club, was laid out in the following months
The course is obviously the prominent feature of any golfing establishment, and is often an attractive, visual feature in its own right. Chilwell Manor Golf Club is no exception to this rule and the mere existence of the club, along the southern boundaries of Beeston and Chilwell enhances the attractiveness of the whole area as a residential haven.
Without the carefully planted and laid out acres of Chilwell Manor, the whole area would have long ago succumbed to Nottingham's urban sprawl.
The spinneys by the 1st, 6th, 8th, 13th and 16th were planted by Gregory's Rose Nurseries in the early days of the course. Some years later, Alan Thornton and his staff planted the willows and many other trees. Many of the course's trees were planted with money from a government grant during the late 80s and early 90s.
Our original wooden clubhouse was built in 1911 and, along with the Methodist Church and the Manor House, formed Chilwell village green. On the 7th February 1922 a disastrous fire totally destroyed the clubhouse. So serious was the damage by the fire only one dray was required to take away the debris. The origin of the fire is not known, but it is understood a committee meeting had only terminated half an hour before the flames were noticed. The local fire brigade did not turn out as it was considered useless for not only had the flames got such a good hold, but there is no great quantity of water in the immediate vicinity
Our new clubhouse was completed in December and was later described in the 1927 Official Handbook, as being "a substantial and well designed building, containing a large general tea and luncheon room, smoke room, kitchen, and ladies' and gents' locker rooms. It was formally opened by His Grace The Duke of Portland KG, who was offered and accepted honorary membership of the club. On the same day a match was played between Tom Williamson and Arthur Gladstone Havers, (whose name is given to our 8th. hole).
1989 proved to be the most successful year in our club's history as far as winning trophies was concerned. Under the captaincy of Bob Solloway, the Club won the following Trophies: -
The Notts. Amateur Match Play Championship. The Notts. Amateur Stroke Play Championship. The Notts. County Ladies' Golf Championship. The Notts. Interclub Mixed Foursomes Championship. The Dilks Scratch Cup for youths under 21. The Notts. Boys Junior Championship Handicap Section.
Our juniors were crowned Junior League Champions in 2006, winning the first division of the Notts, Junior League. The final match was a tense duel against Hollinwell Golf Club, winning by 5 and 1 at Chilwell Manor Golf Club. What a marvellous way to celebrate our club's centenary in 2006!
Our centenary day was celebrated on Thursday 27th April 2006. The weather provided a warm sunny spring day on which to celebrate.
The celebration started with a bang, literally, with a 9am shotgun start to the 4 BBB stableford centenary competition. This event proved so popular that the entrants had to be split into two groups, with the second section commencing at 1:30pm.
One of the highlights of the evening was the muster of past captains, ladies captains and ladies presidents. They were introduced to the members in the order of their year of office.
There were 27 club captains, which represented 33% of the 90 captains the club has had since 1906, 17 ladies captains and 11 ladies presidents. The earliest captain present was Rex Pearson, captain in 1967 and only 3 ½ years younger than the club. Very sadly Rex passed away on the 11th June. Betty Allwood being the earliest ladies captain (1979) and Pat Hassall being the earliest president (1973).
To mark the occasion with a lasting symbol, Ted Kitley presented the centenary Captain, Alan Burrows with the centenary flag. At 7:45pm Mike Gannon, former bar and catering manager and expert flag raiser, raised the flag. Glasses were raised in a toast to Chilwell Manor Golf Club.
The evening continued with dancing in the clubhouse and concluded with a spectacular firework display which was much appreciated by members and guests.