Chilwell Manor Golf Club was formed in 1906 by a group of early enthusiasts who were able to rent a number of fields adjoining the old village 'Manor' House from which the club derives its name. It was originally a nine hole golf course laid out according to the plans of Tom Williamson, a member of Notts. Golf Club. Tom Williamson and his father Edmund also designed Wollaton Park Golf Club in 1926, and over 60 other courses countrywide.
How the group of golf enthusiasts first gathered and had knowledge of a number of fields that might be rented and would be suitable for laying out a nine-hole golf course is not known. What is known is that the fields were rented, and a plan drawn up by Mr. Tom Williamson of the Notts. Golf Club, was laid out in the following months.